Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie, 1890 - 1976
Born: 15 September 1890, Torquay, Devon, England
Died: 12 January 1976, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England
During the First World War she married Archibald Christie and volunteered as a pharmacist. After starting her writing career with The Mysterious Affair at Styles she broke with Colonel Christie but kept his name. She wrote 90 Agatha Christie titles, six romances as Mary Westmacott, five books, including her autobiography, as Agatha Christie Mallowan, and 19 stage plays. She is the best selling novelist of all time. Her works have been translated into more languages than any other author's (not as many as the Bible, but more than Shakespeare). Her play The Mousetrap holds the all-time record for longest running stage play with 8,862 performances over 21 years.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are often "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Agatha Christie quotes:
Click here to find books by Agatha Christie at Amazon.com
- A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path. permalink
- An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her. permalink
- An ugly voice repels me where an ugly face would not. permalink
- Any woman can fool a man if she wants to and if he's in love with her. permalink
- Believe me, nurse, the difficulty of beginning will be nothing to the difficulty of knowing how to stop. At least that's the way it is with me when I have to make a speech. Someone's got to catch hold of my coat-tails and pull me down by main force. permalink
- But it is always interesting when one doesn't see. If you don't see what a thing means, you must be looking at it wrong way around. permalink
- But surely for everything you love you have to pay some price. permalink
- Coffee in England always tastes like a chemistry experiment. permalink
- Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. permalink
- Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them. permalink
- Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more. permalink
- Every murderer is probably somebody's old friend. You cannot mix up sentiment and reason. permalink
- Evil is not something superhuman, it's something less than human. permalink
- Exactly! It is absurd - improbable - it cannot be. So I myself have said. And yet, my friend, there it is! One cannot escape from the facts. permalink
- God bless my soul, woman, the more personal you are the better! This is a story of human beings - not dummies! Be personal - be prejudiced - be catty - be anything you please! Write the thing your own way. We can always prune out the bits that are libellous afterwards! permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.