George Joseph Stigler, 1911 - 1991
Born: 17 January 1911, Renton, Washington
Died: 1 December 1991, Chicago, Illinois
George Stigler quotes:
Click here to find books by George Stigler at Amazon.com
- A Swedish physicist can not discuss his work with fifty people unless he goes abroad. A Swedish economist can get opinions and instructions in his native language from thousands upon thousands of his fellow citizens. permalink
- Am I to admire a man who injures me in an awkward and mistaken attempt to protect me, and to despise a man who, to earn a good income, performs for me some great and lasting service? permalink
- As a rule, regulation is acquired by the industry and is designed and operated primarily for its benefit. permalink
- Economists exert a minor and scarcely detectable influence on the societies in which they live. permalink
- No one recommends these diets for anyone, let alone everyone. permalink
- The delicate and intricate pattern of competition and cooperation in the economic behavior of the hundreds of thousands of citizens of Stockholm offers a challenge to the economist that is perhaps as complex as the challenges of the physicist and the chemist. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.