Wilfrid John Joseph Sheed, 1930 - 2011
Born: 27 December 1930, London, England, UK
Died: 19 January 2011, Great Barrington, Massachusetts.
Wilfrid Sheed quotes:
Click here to find books by Wilfrid Sheed at Amazon.com
- All I knew was that no amount of respectability in other sectors could make up for this one eccentricity: we were gypsies, oddities. 'My parents are publishers,' I would emphasize. But their Catholic publishing seemed almost as bizarre as their Catholic tub-thumping in the starchy secularity of England. So I resigned myself to the delicate pleasures of outsiderness at an early age. permalink
- Every writer is a writer of the generation before. permalink
- I became perhaps the outstanding solitary baseball player of my generation. permalink
- I guess I sort of backed into writing. I have taken off from family experiences sometimes as if they were daydreams. permalink
Wilfrid Sheed - interview with Publishers Weekly
- One reason the human race has such a low opinion of itself is that it gets so much of its wisdom from writers. permalink
- Sad things can happen when an author chooses the wrong subject: first the author suffers, then the reader, and finally the publisher, all together in a tiny whirlpool of pain. permalink
Wilfrid Sheed - The New York Review of Books (27 October 1988)
- The American male doesn't mature until he has exhausted all other possibilities. permalink
- You can't really jitterbug in a hoopskirt or bustle. Swing follows costume, and the big news was that by the 1910s skirts had become just loose enough and short enough to liberate the wearer from the tyranny of twirling through eternal waltzes in ballrooms as big as basketball courts, and freed her to do fox-trots and anything else that could be done in short, quick steps on, if necessary, living room floors with rugs rolled up. So that's what the boys wrote for next. By the 1920s, the whole lower leg could swing out in Charlestons and other abandoned exercises. permalink
Wilfrid Sheed - The House That George Built (2007)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.