As Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator (Miramax, 2004)
Born: 14 May 1969, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Robert Blanchett was a Petty Officer on the US Navy's USS Arneb, met and courted June while his ship was at Melbourne, and went into the advertising business after release from the Navy, living in the Melbourne suburb of Ivanhoe. Cate attended Ivanhoe Girls' Grammar School and Methodist Ladies' College, where she started acting, before entering the University of Melbourne. She had her first screen part as an extra in the Egyptian film Kaboria while on holiday at Cairo, then graduated from the National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992. She acted on stage at Sydney, then came to international prominence in 1998 in the title role of Elizabeth. She played Galadriel in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. She picked up a best supporting actress Oscar for the part of Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator. The played the evil Colonel Doctor Irina Spalko in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and a much more wholesome part in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. She and her husband, screenwriter Andrew Upton, are the directors of the Sydney Theatre Company.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are often "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Cate Blanchett quotes:
Click here to find books by Cate Blanchett at Amazon.com
- Actresses can get outrageously precious about the way they look. That's not what life's about. If you starve yourself to the point where your brain cells shrivel, you will never do good work. And if you're overly conscious of your arms flapping in the wind, how can you look the other actor in the eye to respond to them? permalink
- He thought I was aloof and I thought he was arrogant. It just shows you how wrong you can be. But once he kissed me that was that. permalink
Cate Blanchett - On her first impression of playwright Andrew Upton, her husband
- I certainly think that when I flick through all the magazines at the hairdresser's I like to see and am drawn to images that have an intelligence and mind at work behind them. permalink
- I don't have a sense of entitlement or that I deserve this. You'd be surprised at the lack of competition between nominees— I think a lot of it's imposed from the outside. Can I have my champagne now? permalink
- I don't tell the truth, I tell what ought to be the truth. permalink
- I feel like I've been marinated in Australian theatre. permalink
- I had never done anything with blue screen before, or prosthetics, or anything like that. Lord of the Rings was like stepping into a videogame for me. It was another world completely. But, to be honest, I basically did it so that I could have the ears. I thought they would really work with my bare head. permalink
- I haven't had anything done, but who knows? Andrew said he'd divorce me if I did anything. When you've had children, your body changes; there's history to it.... I think it's important not to eradicate it. permalink
Cate Blanchett - On plastic surgery
- I live my life parallel with my work, and they are both equally important. I'm always amazed how much people talk about celebrity and fame. I don't understand the attraction. permalink
- I look at someone's face and I see the work before I see the person. I personally don't think people look better when they do it; they just look different. permalink
Cate Blanchett - On plastic surgery
- I love strange choices. I'm always interested in people who depart from what is expected of them and go into new territory. permalink
- I loved making it, I had a ball - cowboys and Indians. This is the thing, I love doing things which I'd never envisaged before. And so getting me on the back of a horse, with Tommy Lee Jones and shooting guns and chasing Indians, it's just not something that I would have expected myself to be doing. permalink
Cate Blanchett - On The Missing
- I think marriage is all about timing. Getting married is insanity; I mean, it's a risk. Who knows if you're going to be together forever? But you both say, 'We're going to take this chance', in the same spirit. permalink
Cate Blanchett - "Cate Blanchett: 'Getting Married Is Insanity'", People Magazine (12 January 2007)
- I think that's what I love about my life. There's no maniacal master plan. It's just unfolding before me. permalink
- I'm one of those strange beasts who really likes a corset. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.