Benjamin Rush, 1746 - 1813
Portrait by Charles Willson Peale
Born: 4 January 1746 (24 December 1745 O.S.), Byberry, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania Colony
Died: 19 April 1813, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Benjamin Rush quotes:
Click here to find books by Benjamin Rush at Amazon.com
- Dreams are nothing but incoherent ideas, occasioned by partial or imperfect sleep. permalink
- Freedom can exist only in the society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights. permalink
"Education Agreeable to a Republican Form of Government"
- I need say hardly anything in favor of the Intellects of the Negroes, or of their capacities for virtue and happiness, although these have been supposed by some to be inferior to those of the inhabitants of Europe. The accounts which travelers give of their ingenuity, humanity and strong attachments to their parents, relations, friends and country, show us that they are equal to the Europeans.... All the vices which are charged upon the Negroes in the southern colonies, and the West Indies, such as Idleness, Treachery, Theft and the like, are the genuine offspring of slavery, and serve as an argument to prove, that they were not intended, by Providence, for it. permalink
On Slavekeeping (1773)
- Temperate, sincere, and intelligent inquiry and discussion are only to be dreaded by the advocates of error. The truth need not fear them. permalink
last will and testament (18 Aptil 1867)
- The American war is over; but this far from being the case with the American revolution. On the contrary, nothing but the first act of the drama is closed. It remains yet to establish and perfect our new forms of government, and to prepare the principles, morals, and manners of our citizens for these forms of government after they are established and brought to perfection. permalink
letter to Price (25 May 1786)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.