Martha Dandridge Custis Washington, 1731 - 1802
Portrait on display at National Portrait Gallery, Washington City
Born: 2 June 1731, Chestnut Grove, New Kent County, Virginia, British America
Died: 22 May 1802, Mount Vernon, Virginia
Martha Washington quotes:
Click here to find books by Martha Washington at Amazon.com
- For George is right; he is always right. And though I foresee dark days and many discouragements, my heart will always be with him and the country. permalink
family letter (1774)
- I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances. permalink
- I live a very dull life here.... Indeed I think I am more like a state prisoner than anything else. permalink
- Keep your business affairs in your own hands. It's the only way to be happy. permalink
- The greater part of happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances. permalink
- Think of the magic of that foot, comparatively small, upon which your whole weight rests. It's a miracle, and the dance ... is a celebration of that miracle. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.