Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra
Photo by "Googie Man" (18 March 2007)
Born: 12 May 1925, St. Louis, Missouri
Berra and his best friend Joe Garagiola both attended South Side Catholic School. St. Louis Cardinals president Branch Rickey signed Garagiola instead of Berra because he was about take over the Brooklyn Dodgers and wanted to sign Berra to his new team, but the Yankees signed Berra first. After serving in the US Navy (gunner's mate on a ship in the D-Day Invasion) Berra played nineteen years as a Yankee and set a staggering number of records, most of which still stand. He played in 14 World Series, winning 10, allowing him to set these World Series records: games played (75), at-bats (259), hits (71), doubles (10), singles (49), games caught (63), and catcher putouts (457). He was a fifteen-time All Star and three-time league MVP. A friend said he looked like a yogi (Hindu holy man) for the way he sat with both arms and legs crossed while waiting to bat. But I really don't care about his catching, or his batting, or his quarter century as manager or coach (Yankees, Mets, and Houston Astros). No, that's all very impressive, but nothing compared to his destruction of the English language. These are my favorite Yogiisms, even if he has denied saying some of them.
Yogi Berra quotes:
Click here to find books by Yogi Berra at Amazon.com
- A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. permalink
- All pitchers are liars or crybabies. permalink
- Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours. permalink
- Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked. permalink
- Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken. permalink
- Even Napoleon had his Watergate. permalink
- Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. permalink
- He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious. permalink
- How can you think and hit at the same time? permalink
- I always thought that record would stand until it was broken. permalink
- I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary. permalink
- I knew exactly where it was, I just couldn't find it. permalink
- I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early. permalink
- I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself? permalink
- I never said most of the things I said. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.