Harry Truman Reasoner, 1923 - 1991
Born: 17 April 1923, Dakota City, Iowa
Died: 6 August 1991, Westport, Connecticut
Biography from Wikipedia
Harry Reasoner quotes:
Click here to find books by Harry Reasoner at Amazon.com
- Bond smoked like Peter Lorre, drank like Humphrey Bogart, ate like Sydney Greenstreet, used up girls like Errol Flynn - then went to a steam bath and came out looking like Clark Gable. permalink
- If you're a good journalist, what you do is live a lot of things vicariously, and report them for other people who want to live vicariously. permalink
- Journalism is a kind of profession, or craft, or racket, for people who never wanted to grow up and go out into the real world. permalink
- Statistics are to baseball what a flaky crust is to Mom's apple pie permalink
- The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by its very nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other and, if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.
This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to. permalink
(16 February 1971))
- We're all controlled neurotics. permalink
- When 25 percent of the population believe the President should be impeached and 51 percent of the population believe in UFOs, you may or may not need a new President, but you definitely need a new population. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.