John Singer Sargent, 1856 - 1925
Oil on canvas self portrait at the Uffizi Gallery, Florence (1906)
Born: 12 January 1856, Florence, Italy
Died: 14 April 1925, London, England
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
John Singer Sargent quotes:
Click here to find books by John Singer Sargent at Amazon.com
- A portrait is a picture in which there is something not quite right about the mouth. permalink
- An artist painting a picture should have at his side a man with a club to hit him over the head when the picture is finished. permalink
- Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend. permalink
- I don't dig beneath the surface for things that don't appear before my own eyes. permalink
- Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.