James Douglas "Jim" Morrison, 1943 - 1971
Born: 8 December 1943, Melbourne, Florida
Died: 3 July 1971, Paris, France
Morrison's father was in the US Navy, later becoming the youngest admiral in the fleet, so the family moved frequently. They were living at Albuquerque, New Mexico when his sister was born four years later, and at Los Altos, California the following year when his brother was born. Morrison started high shool at Alameda, graduated from George Washington High School across the country at Alexandria, Virginia in 1961. With no plans for college he moved in with his paternal grandparents at Clearwater, Florida and took classes at St Petersburg Junior College, transferred to Florida State University at Tallahassee, then set his sights on cinema and graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles, receiving a degree in Theater Arts. Living on the beach, often sleeping under the boardwalk at Venice, California, he met a classmate, Ray Manzarek, and they decided to start The Doors in 1965. Drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robby Krieger were recruited and they were successful playing at clubs including the Fillmore East and the Whiskey a Go Go. The band's name comes from Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception, his memoir of life with mescaline. The Doors signed with Elektra in 1967 and released their eponymous album, including the single "Light My Fire", which hit #1. Morrison was the front man and primary lyricist for the first six albums, although Krieger wrote Light My Fire. Morrison was a voracious reader and had published two volumes of poetry, as well as having made two short films. On leave from the band in 1971, putatively to get over his drug and alcohol use, he was found dead in the bathtub of his Paris apartment. As there was no sign of foul play there was no autopsy, various accounts of his death suggest congestive heart failure, heroin overdose, and severe lung damage from asthma. Some reported that he was bloated in his last months, indicative of congestive heart problems, he was coughing up blood in the days before his death, and his common-law wife was a heavy heroin user, so a combination of all three seems likely. His tomb is reputed to be the fourth-most-visited site for tourists at Paris.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are often "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Jim Morrison quotes:
Click here to find books by Jim Morrison at Amazon.com
- A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. permalink
- A hero is someone who rebels, or seems to rebel, against the facts of existence and seems to conquer them. permalink
- Actually I don't remember being born, it must have happened during one of my black outs. permalink
- At first flash of Eden, We race down to the sea.
Standing there on Freedom's shore.
Waiting for the sun. permalink
- Between childhood, boyhood, adolescence and manhood there should be sharp lines drawn with tests, deaths, feats, rites, stories, songs, and judgments. permalink
- Cinema has evolved in two paths. One is spectacle. Like the phantasmagoria, its goal is the creation of a total substitute sensory world. The other is peep show, which claims for its realm both the erotic and the untampered observance of real life, and imitates the keyhole or voyeur's window without need of color, noise, grandeur. permalink
- Cinema returns us to anima, religion of matter, which gives each thing its special divinity and sees gods in all things and beings. Cinema, heir of alchemy, last of an erotic science. permalink
- Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as raven's claws. permalink
- Each generation wants new symbols, new people, new names. They want to divorce themselves from their predecessors. permalink
- Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. permalink
- Few would defend a small view of Alchemy as "Mother of Chemistry", and confuse its true goal with those external metal arts. Alchemy is an erotic science, involved in buried aspects of reality, aimed at purifying and transforming all being and matter. Not to suggest that material operations are ever abandoned. The adept holds to both the mystical and physical work. permalink
- Film spectators are quiet vampires. permalink
- Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself-and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to-letting a person be what he really is. permalink
- I am the lizard king. I can do anything. permalink
- I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.