Jacques Martin Barzun
With Light from a New Dawn by Eric Robert Morse, portraying Barzun at about age 40 (2005)
Born: 30 November 1907, Créteil, France
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Jacques Barzun quotes:
Click here to find books by Jacques Barzun at Amazon.com
- Art distills sensation and embodies it with enhanced meaning — or else it is not art. permalink
The House of Intellect (1959)
- I once worked as a salesman and was very independent. I took orders from no one. permalink
- If he had done nothing more than to create Archie Goodwin, Rex Stout would deserve the gratitude of whatever assessors watch over the prosperity of American literature. permalink
- In any assembly the simplest way to stop the transacting of business and split the ranks is to appeal to a principle. permalink
- In producers, loafing is productive; and no creator, of whatever magnitude, has ever been able to skip that stage, any more than a mother can skip gestation. permalink
- It seems a long time since the morning mail could be called correspondence. permalink
- Let us face a pluralistic world in which there are no universal churches, no single remedy for all diseases, no one way to teach or write or sing, no magic diet, no world poets, and no chosen races, but only the wretched and wonderfully diversified human race. permalink
- Since it is seldom clear whether intellectual activity denotes a superior mode of being or a vital deficiency, opinion swings between considering intellect a privilege and seeing it as a handicap. permalink
- Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition. permalink
- The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind. permalink
- You are working in clay, not marble, on paper, not eternal bronze; let that first sentence be as stupid as it wishes. permalink
"A Writer's Discipline" in On Writing, Editing, and Publishing ( 1971)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.