Hannah Szenes (Anglicized as Sennesh), 1921 - 1944
Born: 17 July 1921, Budapest, Hungary
Died: 7 November 1944, Budapest, Hungary
Hannah Szenes quotes:
Click here to find books by Hannah Szenes at Amazon.com
- Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.
Blessed is the flame that burns in the secret fastness of the heart.
Blessed is the heart with strength to stop its beating for honor's sake.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame. permalink
- Die ... an early death ... No, I didn't want.
I loved the song and the light,
The warming sun, two shining eyes.
War, havoc, I didn't want,
No, I didn't want. permalink
from her cenotaph at Budapest
- In my life's chain of events nothing was accidental. Everything happened according to an inner need. permalink
- My God, My God, I pray that these things never end,
The sand and the sea,
The rush of the waters,
The crash of the Heavens,
The prayer of Man.
The voice called, and I went.
I went, because the voice called. permalink
"A Walk to Caesarea"
- One needs something to believe in, something for which one can have whole-hearted enthusiasm. One needs to feel that one's life has meaning, that one is needed in this world. permalink
- There are stars whose radiance is visible on earth though they have long been extinct. There are people whose brilliance continues to light the world though they are no longer among the living. These lights are particularly bright when the night is dark. permalink
- To die, so young to die. No, no, not I, I love the warm sunny skies, light, song, shining eyes, I want no war, no battle cry, No, no, not I. permalink
- Today is my birthday, and I am eighteen. One idea occupies me continually — Eretz Israel. There is but one place on earth in which we are not refugees, not emigrants, but where we are returning home. permalink
diary entry (17 July 1939)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.