Hiram King "Hank" Williams, 1923 - 1953
WSM radio promotional photo (1951)
Born: 17 September 1923, Mount Olive, Alabama
Died: 1 January 1953, Oak Hill, West Virginia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Hank Williams quotes:
Click here to find books by Hank Williams at Amazon.com
- A good song is a good song, and if I'm lucky enough to write it, well....! I get more kick out of writing than I do singing. I reckon I've written a thousand songs and had over 300 published. permalink
Rolling Stone interview (1952)
- Hear that lonesome whippoorwill? He sounds too blue to fly.
The midnight train is whining low, I'm so lonesome I could cry. permalink
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (1949)
- I ain't gonna worry wrinkles in my brow, cuz nothin's never gonna be alright nohow. No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive. permalink
- I don't know what you mean by country music. I just make music the way I know how. permalink
- I want to live fast, love hard, die young, and leave a beautiful memory. permalink
- I was a pretty good imitator of Roy Acuff, but then I found out they already had a Roy Acuff, so I started singin' like myself. permalink
- If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing. permalink
- You got to have smelt a lot of mule manure before you can sing like a hillbilly. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.