George Frost Kennan, 1904 - 2005
Portrait by the studio of Harris & Ewing (1947)
Born: 16 February 1904, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: 17 March 2005, Princeton, New Jersey
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
George F. Kennan quotes:
Click here to find books by George F. Kennan at Amazon.com
- California reminds me of the popular American Protestant concept of heaven: there is always a reasonable flow of new arrivals. One meets many — not all — of one's friends; people spend a good deal of their time congratulating one another about the fact that they are there; discontent would be unthinkable. permalink
journal entry (13 May 1956) in Sketches From a Life (1989)
- One sometimes feels] a guest of one's time and not a member of its household. permalink
- The accords were] fig leaves of democratic procedure to hide the nakedness of Stalinist dictatorship. permalink
- The best [an American] can look forward to is the lonely pleasure of one who stands at long last on a chilly and inhospitable mountaintop where few have been before, where few can follow and where few will consent to believe he has been. permalink
- The best thing we can do if we want the Russians to let us be Americans is to let the Russians be Russian. permalink
- The more the ego is allowed to expand, the more powerful the temptation to reach for an even larger expansion. permalink
- The very concept of history implies the scholar and the reader. Without a generation of civilized people to study history, to preserve its records, to absorb its lessons and relate them to its own problems, history, too, would lose its meaning. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.