At London, England, photo by Prince Power (13 June 2009)
Born: 20 September 1934, Rome, Italy
Born Sofia Villani Scicolone, her mother a music teacher and aspiring actress. Despite having two daughters, her father refused to marry which left the family dependent on family for shelter and exposed Sofia and Maria to the stigma of illegitimacy. At fourteen, Sofia entered a beauty contest at Naples and was among the finalists; two years later she came to the attention of film producer Carlo Ponti, 22 years her senior. After that first beauty contest she won small parts in Italian films as Sofia Lazzaro, adopting Sophia Loren starting with La Favorita in 1952. In both Italy and the US she played opposite the best-known leading men of her time, often co-starring with the stars of the previous generation. Her list of films would be even longer but she was choosy about her roles and wanted to spend time at home with her sons. She married Conti in 1957, the union was annulled in 1962 to avoid bigamy charges because Italy did not recognize divorce. They remarried in 1966 in France and both took French citizenship; they had two sons and remained married until Conti's death in 2007. From 1950 to date she has appeared in over ninety films, winning over fifty awards including two Oscars, seven Golden Globes, a Grammy, and a host of other film-industry honors. She is a Chevalier (Knight) in the French Legion of Honor, a Knight Grand Cross in of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic, and was given the Praemium Imperiale by the Imperial Family of Japan. Loren's primary residence is Geneva, Switzerland.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are often "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Sophia Loren quotes:
Click here to find books by Sophia Loren at Amazon.com
- A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view. permalink
- After all these years, I am still involved in the process of self-discovery. It's better to explore life and make mistakes than to play it safe. Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life. permalink
- Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical. permalink
- Being beautiful can never hurt, but you have to have more. You have to sparkle, you have to be fun, you have to make your brain work if you have one. permalink
- Cooking is an act of love, a gift, a way of sharing with others the little secrets — "piccoli segreti" — that are simmering on the burners. permalink
- Everything you see I owe to spaghetti. permalink
- For me, it is good to be vulnerable. It makes me nice ... weak sometimes, but in a good way, not a tragic way. permalink
- Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. You must be able to sustain yourself against staggering blows. There is no code of conduct to help beginners. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much further than people with vastly superior talent. permalink
- Hate is unfulfilled love. permalink
- I am lucky. I had a very beautiful mother. permalink
- I firmly believe we can make our own miracles if we believe strongly enough in ourselves and our mission on earth. permalink
- I hated my father all my life but in his final days I forgave him for all the suffering he caused us. As you grow older, marry, and have children of you own, you learn and forget. I do not forget easily, but I do forgive. permalink
- I have my own peculiar yardstick for measuring a man: Does he have the courage to cry in a moment of grief? Does he have the compassion not to hunt an animal? In his relationship with a woman, is he gentle? Real manliness is nurtured in kindness and gentleness, which I associate with intelligence, comprehension, tolerance, justice, education, and high morality. If only men realized how easy it is to open a woman's heart with kindness, and how many women close their hearts to the assaults of the Don Juans. permalink
- I think the quality of sexiness comes from within. It is something that is in you or it isn't and it really doesn't have much to do with breasts or thighs or the pout of your lips. permalink
- I want everything — all of it. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.