Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau
Stanford University photo by Ali Goldstein (in use 2014)
Born: 21 July 1948, New York City
Garry Trudeau quotes:
Click here to find books by Garry Trudeau at Amazon.com
- America is the only country in the world where failing to promote yourself is regarded as being arrogant. permalink
- Criticizing a political satirist for being unfair is like criticizing a nose guard for being physical. permalink
- I had more flow as a designer. I could just drop down into the zone and stay there for hours. With cartooning, I'm constantly coming up for air, procrastinating, looking for reasons not to be doing it. I spend all day granting myself special dispensation, with 'creative process' as my cover story. Carpenters and deli countermen can't do that, so I think they may feel better about themselves at the end of the day. permalink
quoted by Gene Weingarten in "Doonesbury's War" in The Washington Post (22 October 2006)
- Life is like a movie — since there aren't any commercial breaks, you have to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of it. permalink
- Satire is supposed to be unbalanced. It's supposed to be unfair. Criticizing a political satirist for being unfair is like criticizing a 260-pound noseguard for being physical. permalink
speech to the American Newspaper Publishers Association (25 April 1988)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.