Alexander Murray Palmer Haley, 1921 - 1992
Born: 11 August 1921, Ithaca, New York
Died: 10 February 1992, Seattle, Washington
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Alex Haley quotes:
Click here to find books by Alex Haley at Amazon.com
- Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help. permalink
- Either you deal with what is the reality, or you can be sure that the reality is going to deal with you. permalink
- Find the good - and praise it. permalink
- I knew I wanted to write. I had dreamed about it for years. I wasn't going to be one of those people who die wondering, 'What if?' I would keep putting my dream to the test—even though it meant living with uncertainty and fear of failure. permalink
- I look at my books the way parents look at their children. The fact that one becomes more successful than the others doesn't make me love the less successful one any less. permalink
quoted by Hans J. Massaquoi in "Alex Haley's Hideaway" — Ebony (September 1987)
- In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future. permalink
- In my writing, as much as I could, I tried to find the good, and praise it. permalink
- Never completely encircle your enemy. Leave him some escape, for he will fight even more desperately if trapped. permalink
- The reality is that writing is a lonely, private, and poor-paying affair. For every writer kissed by fortune, there are thousands more whose longing is never requited. Even those who succeed often know long periods of neglect and poverty. I did. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.