Leroy Robert "Satchel" Paige, 1906 - 1982
In Cleveland Indians uniform (1948-1949)
Born: 7 July 1906, Mobile, Alabama
Died: 8 June 1982, Kansas City, Missouri
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Satchel Paige quotes:
Click here to find books by Satchel Paige at Amazon.com
- Age is a function of mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. permalink
- Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common. permalink
- Airplanes may kill you, but they ain't likely to hurt you. permalink
- Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society — the social ramble ain't restful.
Avoid running at all times.
And don't look back — something might be gaining on you. permalink
"How to Stay Young" - Collier's Magazine (13 June 1953)
- Don't eat fried food, it angries up the blood. permalink
- Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you. permalink
- Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. permalink
New York Post (4 October 1959)
- How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was? permalink
- I ain't as fast as I used to be, but I'm a better pitcher. I used to overpower them; now I out-cute them. permalink
The Independent, St. Petersburg, Florida (8 July 8 1948)
- I ain't ever had a job, I just always played baseball. permalink
- I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench. permalink
- I never rush myself. See, they can't start the game without me. permalink
- I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. permalink
- I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup, my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer and my bat dodger. Man's got to do what he's got to do. permalink
- If a man can beat you, walk him. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.