Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, 1930 - 2013
Speaking at Asbury Hall, Buffalo, New York (25 September 2008)
Born: 16 November 1930, Ogidi, Anambra State, Nigeria Protectorate
Died: 21 March 2013, Boston, Massachusetts
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Chinua Achebe quotes:
Click here to find books by Chinua Achebe at Amazon.com
- A man who makes trouble for others is also making trouble for himself. permalink
- Does the blind man own his escort? No, neither do we the story; rather it is the story that owns us and directs us. It is the thing that makes us different from cattle; it is the mark on the face that sets one people apart from their neighbours. permalink
- I would be quite satisfied if my novels (especially the ones I set in the past) did no more than teach my readers that their past — with all its imperfections — was not one long night of savagery from which the first Europeans acting on God's behalf delivered them. permalink
Morning Yet on Creation Day (1975)
- One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised. permalink
quoted by Chukwuemeka Bosah in Celebrating Chinua Achebe: Essays on His Life, Legacy, and Works, auth. and ed. (2013)
- There is that great proverb — that until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter. That did not come to me until much later. Once I realized that, I had to be a writer. I had to be that historian. It's not one man's job. It's not one person's job. But it is something we have to do, so that the story of the hunt will also reflect the agony, the travail — the bravery, even, of the lions. permalink
Paris Review interview (Winter 1994)
- To me, being an intellectual doesn't mean knowing about intellectual issues; it means taking pleasure in them. permalink
- When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool. permalink
Arrow of God (1967)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.