Bicentennial concert at Manhattan, photo by Tom Marcello (4 July 1976)
Born: 22 April 1922, Nogales, Arizona
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Charles Mingus quotes:
Click here to find books by Charles Mingus at Amazon.com
- Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple. permalink
- Good jazz is when the leader jumps on the piano, waves his arms, and yells. Fine jazz is when a tenorman lifts his foot in the air. Great jazz is when he heaves a piercing note for 32 bars and collapses on his hands and knees. A pure genius of jazz is manifested when he and the rest of the orchestra run around the room while the rhythm section grimaces and dances around their instruments. permalink
- Had I been born in a different country or had I been born white, I am sure I would have expressed my ideas long ago. Maybe they wouldn't have been as good because when people are born free?I can't imagine it, but I've got a feeling that if it's so easy for you, the struggle and the initiative are not as strong as they are for a person who has to struggle and therefore has more to say. permalink
- I always wanted to be a spontaneous composer. permalink
- If someone has been escaping reality, I don't expect him to dig my music. permalink
- In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time. permalink
- Just because I'm playing jazz I don't forget about me. I play or write me the way I feel through jazz, or whatever. Music is, or was, a language of the emotions. permalink
- Let my children have music! Let them hear live music. Not noise. My children! You do what you want with your own! permalink
- Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. permalink
- Most customers, by the time the musicians reach the second set, are to some extent inebriated. They don't care what you play anyway. permalink
- Most of the soloists at Birdland had to wait for Parker's next record in order to find out what to play next. What will they do now? permalink
- That sound in tune to you? Sounds sharp to me. Sounds like I'm playing sharp all the time. My singing teacher told us you should do that. Maybe I got it from her. She said singers when they grow old have a tendency to go flat. So if you sing sharp as a young person, as you get older and go flat, you'll be in tune. In other words, it's never thought good to be flat. It means you can't get to the tone. permalink
- They're singing your praises while stealing your phrases. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.