Cecil John Rhodes, 1853 - 1902
Portrait by E. H. Mills (ca. 1900)
Born: 5 July 1853, Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England, UK
Died: 26 March 1902, Muizenberg, Cape Colony
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Cecil Rhodes quotes:
Click here to find books by Cecil Rhodes at Amazon.com
- Ask any man what nationality he would prefer to be, and ninety nine out of a hundred will tell you that they would prefer to be Englishmen. permalink
- I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race.... If there be a God, I think that what he would like me to do is paint as much of the map of Africa British Red as possible... permalink
- I have found out one thing and that is, if you have an idea, and it is a good idea, if you only stick to it you will come out all right. permalink
- In order to save the forty million inhabitants of the United Kingdom from a bloody civil war, our colonial statesmen must acquire new lands for settling the surplus population of this country, to provide new markets.... The Empire, as I have always said, is a bread and butter question. permalink
- Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life. permalink
- So little done, so much to do. permalink
- The world is nearly all parcelled out, and what there is left of it is being divided up, conquered and colonised. To think of these stars that you see overhead at night, these vast worlds which we can never reach. I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that. It makes me sad to see them so clear and yet so far. permalink
Last Will and Testament of Cecil John Rhodes (1902)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.