Walter Winchell, 1897 - 1972
Winchell broadcasting from Pennsylvania Ave. at Washington City during Eisenhower's inaugural parade, 20 January 1953
Born: 7 April 1897, New York, New York
Died: 20 February 1972, Los Angeles, California
As a teenager Winchell took to vaudeville, posting gossip on backstage bulletin boards. He became a journalist in the '20s and, at a time when newspapers didn't mention celebrity personal lives until divorce papers were filed, invented the gossip column. By the '30s he was intimate with New York mobsters but left for Hollywood in fear for his life for "knowing too much". His contracts required the media that carried his work to defend and pay any libel actions, so Winchell was reckless about the accuracy of his work, and he didn't hesitate to use his columns to attack those he differed with. His work brought about major changes in American journalism, perhaps not particularly positive ones, but he was popular: by 1948 his audiences were the largest in radio. He wrote simple declarative sentences, often incomplete ones, delivered at a rapid pace. His show opened with him randomly clicking a telegraph key and saying, "Good evening Mr. and Mrs. North and South America and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press.".
Biography from Wikipedia
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Walter Winchell quotes:
Click here to find books by Walter Winchell at Amazon.com
- A friend: one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. permalink
Winchell Exclusive (1975)
- A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air. permalink
- An optimist is someone who gets treed by a lion but enjoys the scenery. permalink
- Broadway is a main artery of New York life - the hardened artery. permalink
- Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America, from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press. permalink
- Gossip is the art of saying nothing in a way that leaves practically nothing unsaid. permalink
- Hollywood is a place where they place you under contract instead of under observation. permalink
- Hollywood is where they shoot too many pictures and not enough actors. permalink
- I never lost a friend I wanted to keep. permalink
- I usually get my stuff from people who promised somebody else that they would keep it a secret. permalink
- Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you. permalink
- Nothing recedes like success. permalink
- Remember that nobody will ever get ahead of you as long as he is kicking you in the seat of the pants. permalink
- She's been on more laps than a napkin. permalink
- The best way to get along is never to forgive an enemy or forget a friend. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.