Valeriu Gafencu, 1921 - 1952
Last photograph before imprisonment
Born: 24 December 1921, Singerei, Balta, Bessarabia
Died: 18 February 1952, Targu Ocna, Romania
Romanian law student at the University of Iasi who opposed the Communist government's attacks on the Orthodox church. He was a leader of the Fellowship of the Cross, condemned at age 20 to 25 years at hard labor for his positions, his father had already been sent to Siberia. He attempted to maintain his ministry in prison and was known as the "saint of the prisons", he is remembered for the poetry he wrote in confinement. He died of tuberculosis and malnutrition in a prison hospital. Orthodox Christians in Romania are seeking his canonization. These quotes were translated for us by Emilia Lazar.
Biography from St Michael's Orthodox Church
Valeriu Gafencu quotes:
Click here to find books by Valeriu Gafencu at Amazon.com
- All i want to say is: Look for love and approach it humbly. permalink
- Although we may not succeed in changing the world's ways, let us teach it to not feel comfortable when sinning, so that its conscience may arise and change its ways. permalink
- Everything is a wonder. permalink
- He who runs away from his own soul's reality is a liar. permalink
- Life is a Gift from God and we must know how to live it in the most dignified manner. permalink
- My eyes are sad, my forehead tired
From all the waiting and watching
my heart is sick, tired
of all the hard, long race,
and cries like a wounded bird. permalink
- Preserve the truth unchanged, but avoid fanaticism. Madness in faith is a holy power, and that's exactly why you must be balanced, lucid, and thoroughly human. permalink
- Strive to maintain your heart's purity, behave with dignity, endure difficult trials, for they have their precise purpose which is God's intention. permalink
- True happiness can only exist in Jesus Christ. Try to accomplish it. Don't be fooled by how the world understands and lives life, for you have your guidance, the Christian path: Let it guide your steps. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.