Samuel Goldwyn, 1882 - 1974
Born: 17 August 1882, Warsaw, Poland
Died: 31 January 1974, Los Angeles, California
Born Shmuel Gelbfisz at Warsaw, Poland. While living with relatives in England he adopted a less imposing name, Samuel Goldfish. He moved to the US in 1899 and became a very successful glove salesman, but ended up making movies — over seventy of them. Five years after his first picture he adopted the name we recognize: Samuel Goldwyn. Between his high energy and English being his second language, he said some wonderfully absurd things. Some are just absurd, some manage to be profoundly true in their absurdity.
Samuel Goldwyn quotes:
Click here to find books by Samuel Goldwyn at Amazon.com
- A bachelor's life is no life for a single man. permalink
- A hospital is no place to be sick. permalink
- A verbal contract is worth about as much as the paper it's written on. permalink
- A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. permalink
- Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined. permalink
- Coffee isn't my cup of tea. permalink
- Color television! Bah, I won't believe it until I see it in black and white. permalink
- Don't pay any attention to the critics — don't even ignore them. permalink
- Don't worry about the war. It's all over but the shooting. permalink
- Flashbacks are a thing of the past. permalink
- From success you get a lot of things, but not that great inside thing that love brings you. permalink
- Gentlemen, include me out. permalink
- Give me a couple of years, and I'll make that actress an overnight success. permalink
- Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day. permalink
- Go see it and see for yourself why you shouldn't go see it. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.