Neil Percival Young
On stage at Nelson Mandela Forum, Firenze, Italia, photo by Andrea Barsanti (22 June 2008)
Born: 12 November 1945, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
After Young's parents divorced when he was twelve, he moved with his mother to Winnipeg, Manitoba where Neil enrolled at Earl Grey Junior High School and joined his first band. While at Kelvin High School he was in several bands, after dropping out he soon met Stephen Stills and Randy Bachman. Young drove his black hearse to Los Angeles with Bruce Palmer, they ran into Stephen Stills and Richie Furay on Sunset Boulevard, found a drummer and they were Buffalo Springfield. Young has been associated with at least fifteen bands and has had solo projects going through most of his career.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Neil Young quotes:
Click here to find books by Neil Young at Amazon.com
- A studio, you go down the hall and see other people playing. You feel like you're in some kind of complex, like you're a soup. You're cream of mushroom and they're tomato. permalink
- All these people talking about morality should just take a walk downtown. They don't want to go downtown because instantly they see homeless people and they don't want to. permalink
- And you can't get away from a mirror if you stand in front of it all the time, right. But if you step away from it, you don't notice it any more. And that's what the stage is like for me. See, an image becomes meaningless in as much as it's always temporary. permalink
- As I get older, I get smaller. I see other parts of the world I didn't see before. Other points of view. I see outside myself more. permalink
- As soon as you start preaching, nobody wants to hear you because then you're a jerk. permalink
- As soon as you start talking about mystique, you have none. permalink
- As you go through life, you've got to see the valleys as well as the peaks. permalink
- Back then people closed their eyes and listened to music. Today there's a lot of images that go with the music. A lot of music is crap and it's all commercial and the images are all trying to sell the record. permalink
- Better to burn out than rust out. permalink
- Commitments are one of the worst things to have in the music business. They're very annoying. permalink
- Earth is a flower and it's pollinating. permalink
- Getting sued by your record company for making 'uncommercial records' after twenty years in the business, that's even better than receiving a Grammy. permalink
- Heart of Gold put me in the middle of the road. Travelling there soon became a bore so I headed for the ditch. A rougher ride, but I saw more interesting people there. permalink
- I always play more than I talk, so the more I talk, the more I'll play. permalink
- I didn't really know what I was doing when I started. I just started writing songs. After two songs I just continued to explore it. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.