John Winston Ono Lennon, 1940 - 1980
Yoko Ono and John Lennon on 8 December 1980, photo by Annie Leibovitz
Born: 9 October 1940, Liverpool, England, UK
Died: 8 December 1980, New York City
Born John Winston Lennon, his father Alfred was away at sea for his early years and his mother Julia was pregnant by another man when Alfred returned five year later. John was raised by Julia's sister Mimi from then on, Julia died in an auto accident in 1958 and John only saw Alfred again twenty years later. The year before her death, Julia bought John his first guitar and he formed The Quarrymen, a skiffle group. Paul McCartney joined the band after their second concert, and George Harrison soon joined the band, they became The Beatles and started two years of steady performing at Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany before their commercial success. The band broke up in 1970, some believe because of Lennon's relationship with Yoko Ono. John and Yoko released two albums and moved to New York where they were active in peace causes, leading to a five-year effort by the Nixon Justice Department to deport Lennon. John had a relationship with May Pang, instigated by Ono, for about eighteen months. In getting back together with Ono, she was willing to continue her pregnancy only if John became a house husband, and for five years he basically devoted himself to raising Sean in that role. Ready to return to music, the couple released Double Fantasy and Rolling Stone sent Annie Leibovitz to the Dakota for a portrait session which created the brilliant image you see here. That night, John and Yoko returned to the apartment but John was shot by Mark David Chapman in the entrance to the building and was pronounced dead on arrival at Roosevelt Hospital.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are often "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
John Lennon quotes:
Click here to find books by John Lennon at Amazon.com
- A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. permalink
- All we are saying is give peace a chance. permalink
- All you need is love. permalink
- And God help Bruce Springsteen when they decide he's no longer God.... They'll turn on him, and I hope he survives it. permalink
- As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot. permalink
- Because bread and babies, as every housewife knows, is a full-time job. After I made the loaves, I felt like I had conquered something. But as I watched the bread being eaten, I thought, Well, don't I get a gold record or knighted or nothing? permalink
- Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first — rock and roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me. permalink
John Lennon - Evening Standard (4 March 1966)
- Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears. permalink
- Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground. permalink
- Everything is clearer when you're in love. permalink
- For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. The people in the cheaper seats clap your hands. And the rest of you, just rattle your jewelry. permalink
John Lennon - Royal Variety Performance at London (4 November 1963)
- From our earliest days in Liverpool, George and I on the one hand and Paul on the other had different musical tastes. Paul preferred 'pop type' music and we preferred what is now called 'underground'. This may have led to arguments, particularly between Paul and George, but the contrast in tastes, I'm sure, did more good than harm, musically speaking, and contributed to our success. permalink
- God is a concept by which we measure our pain. permalink
- Guilt for being rich, and guilt thinking that perhaps love and peace isn't enough and you have to go and get shot or something. permalink
- Happiness is just how you feel when you don't feel miserable. permalink
John Lennon - The Beatles Anthology (2000)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, pope, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.