Jean Marie Lucien Pierre Anouilh, 1910 - 1987
During performance of L'Arrestation at Athanaeum Theatre, Paris (September 1975)
Born: 23 June 1910, Cérisole, Bordeaux, France
Died: 3 October 1987, Lausanne, Switzerland
Anouilh was of Basque heritage, his father a tailor and his mother a violinist. He maintained that he learned pride in craftsmanship from his father and creativity from his mother. After attending local shools, he entered the University of Paris to study law but left after less than two years when he got a job in advertising. He later credited the discipline of copy writing for developing the brevity and precision of his work which included thirty plays. His work often showed the conflict between idealism and realism, definitely a factor in Becket, which I've seen and enjoyed in the film version (1964, with Peter O'Toole as King Henry and Richard Burton as Becket).
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Jean Anouilh quotes:
Click here to find books by Jean Anouilh at Amazon.com
- A genius knows how to make himself easily understood without being obvious about it. permalink
- A good actor must never be in love with anyone but himself. permalink
- A happy love is full of quarrels, you know. permalink
- All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them. permalink
- Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute! Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Only engage, and then the mind grows heated. Begin, and then the work will be completed. permalink
- Beauty is one of the rare things that do not lead to doubt of God. permalink
- Each of us has a day when he has to accept, finally, the fact that he is a man. permalink
- Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is. permalink
- Every man thinks god is on his side. permalink
- Everything ends this way in France. Weddings, christenings, duels, burials, swindlings, affairs of state — everything is a pretext for a good dinner. permalink
- God is on everyone's side.... In the last analysis, he is on the side with plenty of money and large armies. permalink
- Have you noticed that life, with murders and catastrophes and fabulous inheritances, happens almost exclusively in newspapers? permalink
- I like reality. It tastes like bread. permalink
- In your efforts to dazzle us your reasoning has gone awry. You know very well that love is, above all, the gift of oneself. permalink
- It is restful, tragedy, because one knows that there is no more lousy hope left. You know you're caught, caught at last like a rat with all the world on its back. And the only thing left to do is shout — not moan, or complain, but yell out at the top of your voice whatever it was you had to say. What you've never said before. What perhaps you don't even know till now. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.