Ian Lancaster Fleming, 1908 - 1964
"For Your Eyes Only", oil by Constance Vlahoulis
Born: 28 May 1908, Mayfair, London, England, UK
Died: 12 August 1964, Canterbury, Kent, England, UK
Fleming's grandfather was an associate of J.P. Morgan, his father was a Tory politician who was elected to Parliament in 1910 but died in the first world war. His older brother was the travel writer Peter Fleming who occasionally wrote some science fiction. Fleming was educated at Eton, although he was expelled following "some alleged trouble with one of the boys' maids". He went on to Sandhurst Military Academy but resigned without gaining a commission, then studied languages at Munich (German) and Geneva (French) universities. He was a journalist with Reuters, including some time at Moscow, before returning to London and the financial sector where he was not particularly successful as a stock broker. As the war approached he joined the Navy and became assistant to Admiral John H. Godfrey, the Director of Naval Intelligence, who became the model for "M". Although he did receive field training, including attaching a mine to the hull of a ship from underwater, his actual work was in planning and administration. He bought an estate in Jamaica, which he called Goldeneye, was foreign manager for Kemsley Newspapers, and in 1952 he married Ann Rothermere whose father owned the Daily Mail. His first James Bond novel was Casino Royale in 1953, he wrote thirteen more before being struck down by a heart attack on a golf course in Kent.
Additional quotes from Wikiquote. Wikiquote entries are "sourced" and may include items longer than those included here, particularly for poets, lyricists, and dramatists.
Ian Fleming quotes:
Click here to find books by Ian Fleming at Amazon.com
- A horse is dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle. permalink
- A medium Vodka dry Martini - with a slice of lemon peel. Shaken and not stirred. permalink
Dr. No (1958)
- A woman can put up with almost anything; anything but indifference. permalink
- A woman should be an illusion. permalink
- Against the background of this luminous and sparkling stage Bond stood in the sunshine and felt his mission to be incongruous and remote and his dark profession an affront to his fellow actors. permalink
Casino Royale (1953)
- Bond always mistrusted short men. They grew up from childhood with an inferiority complex. All their lives they would strive to be big - bigger than the others who had teased them as a child. Napoleon had been short, and Hitler. It was the short men that caused all the trouble in the world. permalink
- Bond reflected that good Americans were fine people and that most of them seemed to come from Texas. permalink
Casino Royale (1953)
- Everyone has the revolver of resignation in his pocket. permalink
Casino Royale (1953)
- Goldfinger could not have known that high tension was Bond's natural way of life and that pressure and danger relaxed him. permalink
- He shrugged his shoulders to shift the pain of failure—-the pain that is so much greater than the pleasure of success. permalink
- He thought with pleasure of the In-tray piled with Top Secret dockets he had gladly abandoned when the red telephone had summoned him an hour before. He felt fairly confident that now he wouldn't have to deal with them. permalink
Diamonds Are Forever (1956)
- I always make it a rule never to look back. Otherwise, I'd ask myself how I could write such piffle and live with myself, day after day. permalink
- I have always smoked and drunk and loved too much. In fact I have lived not too long but too much. One day the Iron Crab will get me. Then I shall have died of living too much. permalink
- I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. permalink
You Only Live Twice (1964)
- I'm looking for Commander James Bond, not an overgrown stunt man. permalink
on meeting Sean Connery
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.