At Cannes Film Festival, photo by Georges Biard (2008)
Born: 8 August 1937, Los Angeles, California
Hoffman graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955 and enrolled at Santa Monica College. Despite taking acting, reputed to be impossible to fail, his grades weren't good enough to continue and he joined the Pasadena Playhouse for two years. He moved to New York City where he lived with Gene Hackman, who had jumped from Pasadena Playhouse to the Big Apple shortly before. He worked odd jobs, occasional TV and stage roles and TV commercials before his first successful stage role in 1966. He had a part in Mel Brooks' 1968 production of "The Producers", but backed out of it when offered the part of Benjamin Braddock in "The Graduate", playing opposite Mel Brooks' wife Anne Bancroft. He received an Oscar nomination for that role, and got another one the following year as Ratso in "Midnight Cowboy". He acted in sixty films since, winning two Academy Awards, six Golden Globes, and numerous others.
Dustin Hoffman quotes:
Click here to find books by Dustin Hoffman at Amazon.com
- A good review from the critics is just another stay of execution. permalink
- A "take" is an opportunity to fail ... and we think that we have to get it right all the time. permalink
- And that's another reason to make this movie: We can put plays on film now, at a relatively small cost, and they will reach an audience they would never have reached otherwise. permalink
- Blame is for God and small children. permalink
- Euthanasia is legal in Hollywood. They just kill the film if it doesn't succeed immediately. permalink
- God knows I've done enough crap in my life to grow a few flowers. permalink
- I decided to become an actor because I was failing in school and I needed the credits. permalink
- I did some writing and bought a book, and have been working on that as a film to act and direct in. permalink
- I don't like the fact that I have to get older so fast, but I like the fact that I'm aging so well. permalink
- I envy people who can just look at a sunset. I wonder how you can shoot it. There is nothing more grotesque to me than a vacation. permalink
- I feel cheated never being able to know what it's like to get pregnant, carry a child and breast feed. permalink
- I got into acting so that I could meet girls. Pretty girls came later. First, I wanted to start off with someone with two legs, who'd smile at me and look soft. permalink
- I grew up thinking a movie star had to be like Rock Hudson or Tab Hunter, certainly nobody in any way like me. permalink
- I like to mimic my grandkids. I'm trying to understand the intensity of fixation on a leaf. Kids don't need anything else in their life. permalink
- I lived below the official American poverty line until I was 31. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.