Clinton Eastwood, Jr.
With wife Dina, greeting veterans before the 79th Academy Awards, 26 February 2007
Born: 31 May 1930, San Francisco, California
Eastwood's father was a steelworker and his mother a factory worker, the family moved often during Eastwood's early years. He graduated form Oakland Technical Hich School in 1949. He worked in a pulp mill, pumped gas, served as a fireman, and played ragtime piano in an Oakland bar. Drafted into the Army during the Korean War, he was on a military flight that crashed in Drake's Bay, north of San Francisco, and remained stateside to testify at the investigation when the rest of his unit went to Korea. He acted in a number of "B" movies in the mid 'fifties and was considering giving it up when he was cast as Rowdy Yates in the TV series Rawhide, which ran from 1959 to 1966. He landed the role of "the man with no name" in Sergio Leone's trilogy of "spaghetti westerns", followed by several other western films. His sole musical outing was Paint your Wagon in 1969. His most memorable portrayal may be "Dirty Harry" Callahan, five films between 1971 and 1988. He directed Play Misty for Me in 1971 and has directed about half of the films he has been involved with since then. In two cases he was nominated for Best Actor and won both Best Director and Best Picture; Unforgiven in 1992 and Million Dollar Baby in 2004. Five actors won Best Actor Oscars for roles in films he directed. He received France's Légion d'honneur in 2007. The same year he was given an honorary Doctor of Music degree by the Beklee College of Music in recognition of his composition and piano performance.
Clint Eastwood quotes:
Click here to find books by Clint Eastwood at Amazon.com
- As we grow older we must discipline ourselves to continue expanding, broadening, learning, keeping our minds active and open. permalink
- As you get older, you're not afraid of doubt. Doubt isn't running the show. You take out all the self-agonizing. permalink
- Barack Obama was unimaginable back when I was a kid. Count Basie and a lot of big bands would come through Seattle when I was young. They could play at a club, but they couldn't frequent the place. permalink
- Children teach you that you can still be humbled by life, that you learn something new all the time. That's the secret to life, really: never stop learning. It's the secret to career. I'm still working because I learn something new all the time. It's the secret to relationships. Never think you've got it all. permalink
- Hollywood, as everyone knows, glamorizes physical courage.... if I had to define courage myself, I wouldn't say it's about shooting people. I'd say it's the quality that stimulates people, that enables them to move ahead and look beyond themselves. permalink
- I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think it's going to rain, it will. permalink
- I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. permalink
- I like to direct the same way that I like to be directed. permalink
- I never considered myself a cowboy, because I wasn`t. But I guess when I got into cowboy gear I looked enough like one to convince people that I was. permalink
- I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it. permalink
- I'd like to be a bigger and more knowledgeable person 10 years from now than I am today. I think that, for all of us, as we grow older, we must discipline ourselves to continue expanding, broadening, learning, keeping our minds active and open. permalink
- If I'd had good discipline, I might have gone into music. permalink
- If you think it's going to rain, it will. permalink
- If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster. permalink
- I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a man is, the more likely he is to have extreme prejudice. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.