Quotes from the category Self Awareness:
- Fiction is nothing less than the subtlest instrument for self-examination and self-display that mankind has invented yet. permalink
Odd Jobs (1991)
- He that has never suffered adversity is but half acquainted with others, or with himself.
- It is a mistake for anyone to think he has lived too long in his old, unsatisfactory ways to make the great change. If you switch on the light in a dark room, it makes no difference how long it was dark because the light will still shine. Be teachable. That is the whole secret. permalink
- It's not only the most difficult thing to know one's self, but the most inconvenient. permalink
- Make it thy business to know thyself, which is the most difficult lesson in the world. permalink
- My sense of humor will always stand in the way of my seeing myself, my family, my race, or my nation as the whole intent of the universe. permalink
Dust Tracks on a Road (1942)
- O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It would frae mony a blunder free us,
And foolish notion. permalink
"To a Louse" (1786)
- Of all knowledge the wise and good seek most to know themselves. permalink
- Until we see what we are, we cannot take steps to become what we should be. permalink
quoted by Ann J. Lane in To Herland and Beyond: The Life and World of Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1991)
- We know what we are, but know not what we may be. permalink
- What is interesting about self-analysis is that it leads nowhere. It is an art form in itself. permalink
quoted by Olga Kenyon in Women Writers Talk (1989)
- When Thales was asked what was difficult, he said, To know one's self. And what was easy, To advise another. permalink
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.