Quotes from the category Intellectual:
- I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30. permalink
The Groucho Letters (1967)
- I would call an intellectual one whose instrument of work — his mind — is also his major source of pleasure; a man whose entertainment is his intelligence. permalink
But Will It Sell? (1964)
- Intellectuals are people who believe that ideas are of more importance than values. That is to say, their own ideas and other people's values. permalink
"Life" in Thoughts in a Dry Season: A Miscellany (1978)
- Nothing is more injurious to the character and to the intellect than the suppression of a generous emotion. permalink
- One of the secrets of life is to keep our intellectual curiosity acute. permalink
- The whole machinery of our intelligence, our general ideas and laws, fixed and external objects, principles, persons, and gods, are so many symbolic, algebraic expressions. They stand for experience; experience which we are incapable of retaining and surveying in its multitudinous immediacy. We should flounder hopelessly, like the animals, did we not keep ourselves afloat and direct our course by these intellectual devices. Theory helps us to bear our ignorance of fact. permalink
The Sense of Beauty, Pt. III: "Form", Sect. 30: "The average modified in the direction of pleasure.", p. 125 (1896)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.