Quotes from the category Identity:
- Instead of boiling up individuals into the species, I would draw a chalk circle round every individuality, and preach to it to keep within that, and preserve and cultivate its identity. permalink
letter to John Sterling (5 August 1845)
- It is the individual's task to differentiate himself from all the others and stand on his own feet. All collective identities ... interfere with the fulfillment of this task. Such collective identities are crutches for the lame, shields for the timid. permalink
- Sex annihilates identity, and the space given to sex in contemporary novels is an avowal of the absence of character. permalink
"Characters in Fiction" Partisan Review (March/April 1961), reprinted in On the Contrary (1961)
- Until the mid-20th century, same-sex intimacy long had been condemned as immoral by the state itself in most Western nations, a belief often embodied in the criminal law. For this reason, among others, many persons did not deem homosexuals to have dignity in their own distinct identity. A truthful declaration by same-sex couples of what was in their hearts had to remain unspoken. permalink
for the court in Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. ___ (26 June 2015)
- When committees gather, each member is necessarily an actor, uncontrollably acting out the part of himself, reading the lines that identify him, asserting his identity. permalink
"On Committees" in The Medusa and the Snail (1979)
- Youth is the season of tragedy and despair. Youth is the time when one's whole life is entangled in a web of identity, in a perpetual maze of seeking and of finding, of passion and of disillusion, of vague longings and of nameless griefs, of pity that is a blade in the heart, and of 'all the little emptiness of love'. permalink
The Woman Within (1954)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.