Quotes from the category Autobiography:
- A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction. permalink
- Every autobiography ... becomes an absorbing work of fiction, with something of the charm of a cryptogram. permalink
Minority Report (1956)
- Fiction is the higher autobiography. permalink
quoted in The New York Times obituary (6April 2005)
- I have always hated biography, and more especially, autobiography. If biography, the writer invariably finds it necessary to plaster the subject with praises, flattery and adulation and to invest him with all the Christian graces. If autobiography, the same plan is followed, but the writer apologizes for it. permalink
The Rest of My Life (1937)
- I write fiction and I'm told it's autobiography, I write autobiography and I'm told it's fiction, so since I'm so dim and they're so smart, let them decide what it is or it isn't. permalink
Deception: A Novel (1990)
- To ask an author who hopes to be a serious writer if his work is autobiographical is like asking a spider where he buys his thread. permalink
speech at Ontario Science Center (26 November 1989)
Please report any problems on this page! If you see any typos, incorrect attributions, deformed characters, or any other problem with this page, we want to fix it as soon
as possible. Please click here to report errors.
Note: Do not use titles in author searches, we don't use them, including president, senator, prime minister, king, queen, saint, or doctor, or abbreviations thereof. See explanation here.